Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fair Trade


One of the main reasons I wanted to start Spice Entice was to support fair trade and organic living. After my recent trip to South Africa, I wanted to find a way to support people in different areas of the world, contributing directly to their well being. This task has been more difficult that I first imagined. I thought that I would be able to google what I wanted and it appeared magically (because that is the google way). 

 


What I found was that many suppliers don't openly supply information about the origins of their products or the method of obtaining them. Other than coffee, it would seem that most places view their suppliers as their secret weapons. Despite this, my mission remains the same.

   

I want to offer the residents of Macon spices, teas, herbs, and coffees from around the world that support fair trade practices and sustainable or organic farming. It is important to me to not only offer the highest quality of goods, but to know that the suppliers and their workers are not suffering for our need to have the best.
  

Before South Africa, I was skeptical about fair trade and the truth behind its practices. I worried that it was a classification that had no read basis in the lives of its workers. After seeing more than a few organizations that are fair trade certified, and seeing the workers with my own eyes, I have become a huge supporter. For more information, go to http://www.fairtrade.net/